I’m new to this whole spa thing. What should I know?
- It’s a good idea to arrive a few minutes early for your appointment. That way you can check in leisurely, relax before your treatment, and enjoy a nice glass of juice. Also, since many of our treatments involve aromatherapy as part of the service, try to avoid wearing strongly scented products like aftershave, perfume, or lotion.
What do you need to know about me?
- If you have any special health concerns, please let us know. Particularly, if you are pregnant, have high blood pressure, heart conditions, any physical ailments, or if you are allergic to anything. Our therapies are generally very safe, but if you experience any discomfort during our service, let your therapist know right away.
What if I need to cancel my appointment?
- If you need to cancel, please provide at least a 24 hour notice.
What if I’m going to be late for my appointment?
- We will do our best to fit you into the schedule. Please let us know as soon as possible if you are going to be late so we can make arrangements.
Are your treatments covered by my health insurance provider?
- Some of our services are covered by certain health insurance plans. Check with your provider and your individual plan to be sure.
What payment methods do you accept?
- We accept cash, debit, Visa, and Mastercard.
Do you take walk-in appointments?
- It’s always best to make an appointment. We can’t guarantee anyone will be available for a walk-in appointment, but we will do our best to fit you in.
When are you open?
- Monday: 11:00am to 7:00pm
- Tuesday: 11:00am to 7:00pm
- Wednesday: 11:00am to 7:00pm
- Thursday: 11:00am to 7:00pm
- Friday: 10:00am to 5:00pm
- Saturday: closed
- Sunday: 1:00pm to 5:00pm by appointment only
I don’t know what all these different services mean! I just want healthy looking skin!
- Don’t worry! Our estheticians will meet with you and help you choose a method of treatment which suits your individual needs the best.
I need to know how to treat acne. Can you help me with that?
- Yes, we have several acne treatment services which can help you.
I need to know how to remove acne scars from my face. Can you help me with that?
- How to remove scars from acne is one of the most common questions we get asked. Yes, we have treatments which can help you reduce scarring in your face.
What is a facial?
- A facial is a method of taking care of your skin. It’s designed to clean and exfoliate your skin, and give it back the nutrients it may be missing. A good facial will help give you a clear complexion, and can help your skin look more youthful.
There are so many different facial options! What if I don’t know which one to choose?
- Don’t worry! Our staff is here to help make your experience as stress-free as possible. If you aren’t sure, we will discover what your unique needs are and help you build a treatment plan which suits those needs.
How often should I get a facial?
- The answer to this question depends on your individual needs. Your esthetician will let you know when the best time is to book another appointment.
How much does a facial cost?
- For pricing information, please see our services page.
Can I use makeup after my facial, or should I wait?
- The answer to this question is probably yes, but you should check with your esthetician to make sure.
I’m suffering from acne. Can a facial help?
- A facial is unlikely to get rid of acne permanently. But it does help by clearing out your pores and caring for any current acne which has formed. We offer a deep cleansing facial which does just that.
I’m a guy with a beard, and I’d like to get a facial done. How does that work?
- Most of our facial treatments can be done on men with or without facial hair. So whether you’ve got a full beard, you rock the three-day stubble look, or you’re smooth as a baby’s bottom, you can benefit from a facial spa treatment. Talk to your esthetician, and you’ll discover what the best treatment is for your individual needs.
How does microdermabrasion work?
- How microdermabrasion works involves spraying the skin of your face with tiny crystals, which clear away the dead skin cells on your face. A small vacuum at the same time collects both the crystals and the dead skin cells, leaving nothing but clean, healthy skin.
What are the benefits of microdermabrasion?
- Microdermabrasion is a fairly quick, painless, non-invasive procedure which helps clean your skin by removing the layer of dead skin cells, built up makeup, environmental pollutants, and other debris which naturally grows on our skin.
Does microdermabrasion work?
- Depending on the results you’re looking for. If you’re hoping for smoother, clearer, healthier looking skin, or a decrease in the visibility of fine lines, wrinkles, and stretch marks, then yes, microdermabrasion works.
Is microdermabrasion safe?
- Yes, in the hands of an experienced and knowledgeable technician to administer the treatment in a sterile environment, microdermabrasion is entirely safe.
How much skin does a microdermabrasion remove?
- A microdermabrasion only takes off the outer skin layer, made up entirely of dead skin cells. Very little if any living tissue is removed during a microdermabrasion, so it generally won’t irritate your skin.
I have acne. Should I get a microdermabrasion?
- If you have mild acne, a microdermabrasion can help. But if you suffer from moderate or severe acne, a microdermabrasion can actually make it worse! Your esthetician will advise you on the best course of action based on your individual needs.
Can I wear makeup after a microdermabrasion?
- Yes. Since the microdermabrasion removes mostly dead skin cells, there should be no irritation, and you can safely wear makeup right after treatment.
Should I get a microdermabrasion?
- Microdermabrasion works best on skin damaged by acne, sun, or aging, and any colour. If you have a major skin condition, deep scarring, facial warts, skin cancer, severe acne, sumberns, rosacea, eczema, an auto-immune disease, or diabetes, let your esthetician know. They will recommend an alternate option. Also, if you are pregnant or a teenager, hormones can interfere with the microdermabrasion’s effects. It’s best to wait until after birth or at the end of puberty to go forward with a microdermabrasion.
Does a microdermabrasion hurt?
- It might be mildly uncomfortable, comparable with rubbing a toothbrush across your skin. It’s very rare for someone to complain about the discomfort.
What are microdermabrasion side effects?
- One of the microdermabrasion side effects observed is an occasional light or dark patch appearing after treatment. This is most common in those with darker skin to begin with. You may also find increased sensitivity to the Sun for a short time after your treatment.
Can microdermabrasion remove acne scars?
- Microdermabrasion can help with certain types of acne scars. Your esthetician will recommend the best service for you based on your unique needs.
How long does microdermabrasion last?
- The treatment itself usually takes about 45 minutes or so. But the results will last about a month or so until the upper layer of your skin changes again.
What is a photo facial?
- A photo facial uses broad spectrum bright light to even out the skin tone on your face. Light pulses directed on dark areas of your skin will be absorbed by your skin, which causes it to darken and harden, and then flake away, leaving skin beneath which more closely matches your natural skin pigmentation.
That sounds painful!
- Some patients say they feel a light sting, similar to a rubber band lightly snapping against the skin. But it’s relatively minor, and complaints are rare. Let your esthetician know if you experience severe discomfort.
How many times do I need to get a photo facial before I see results?
- It usually takes four to six treatments at roughly three week intervals to see real results.
What conditions can photo facial help with?
- Photo facial can help with blotchy skin, rosacea, broken veins and capillaries, birth marks, scarring, and to restore your skin’s natural collagen.
What is a chemical glycolic peel?
- It’s a chemical solution used to remove dead skin cells from your face. It will leave your skin smoother and less wrinkled.
But isn’t it dangerous to pour chemicals on my face?
- If you have overly sensitive skin, the chemical peel may irritate your skin, but for the most part a chemical peel is quite safe.
A chemical glycolic peel sound similar to a microdermabrasion. Which should I choose?
- Good eye! Chemical peel vs. microdermabrasion is a common question, and yes, a chemical peel and a microdermabrasion are very similar. Your esthetician will help you decide which option is best for you, but most patients end up going with a microdermabrasion.
What is a “skin remodeling treatment”?
- It’s a treatment developed by Silhouet-Tone, designed to help increase blood flow in your skin to give you tighter, firmer, and more hydrated skin. It’s designed for those age 65 and up.
What is a body scrub?
- It’s a combination of deep massage and exfoliation. It clears away your dead skin and is very relaxing.
Why should I wax instead of shave?
- When you shave, your hair comes back coarser and thicker than before, and within a day or two you can see and feel stubble growing back. But with waxing, your hair grows back slower and softer. You also almost never suffer ingrown hairs from waxing.
How long does my hair need to be before you can wax it?
- Generally, at least ¼”, or around 3-4 weeks since you last shaved.
I’ve never had a bikini wax before. How should I prepare?
- First of all, come freshly showered. Try to keep your skin as dry as possible, and again, make sure your hair is at least ¼”
What areas can be waxed?
- Just about anywhere hair grows! Your eyebrows, upper lip, chin, arms, legs, underarm, bikini line, back, and more can be waxed.
How should I take care of my skin after waxing?
- Avoid being in the sun too much or tanning, perfume, scented lotion, or deodorant, or hot showers, baths, or saunas for about 48 hours after waxing.
What is laser hair removal?
- Just like the name suggests, it’s a procedure for removing body hair using a laser. The idea is to disable your hair follicles’ ability to produce hair.
How many times will I need laser hair removal before I’m hair-free?
- It generally takes 6-8 treatments, spaced out over 8-12 week periods. But if you have particularly thick hair, it may take longer.
Is laser hair treatment permanent?
- At the end of a successful laser hair removal regimen, the results should be permanent.
But doesn’t laser hair removal hurt!? I can’t imagine getting zapped by a laser!
- The laser has different intensity settings we can adjust depending on your pain threshold. Some people express mild discomfort, but it lasts only for a brief moment in time and doesn’t linger. But if you can handle waxing, laser hair removal is much less painful!
How should I prepare for laser hair removal?
- First of all, don’t use waxing, depilatories, or any other form of hair removal other than shaving for at least six weeks before your first session, and don’t use them again until after the treatment is complete (though they shouldn’t be necessary afterwards!) Also, the area must be clean shaven.
How long does each laser hair removal appointment take?
- It depends on the area you’d like to get treated. Your underarms will take about five minutes, and your full legs about an hour and a half.
Are there any limitations with laser hair removal?
- The laser targets your hair by colour, so it generally works best on those with light skin and dark hair. It also only works on coarse hair. Fine, light hairs need to be treated with another method.
How old do you have to be to receive laser hair removal?
- In general, it’s best to wait until the end of puberty. This is because as hair is removed, new hair will develop which will require treatment at a later date.
What is threading?
- Facial threading is a method of hair removal which comes from ancient Egypt. A cotton thread is wrapped around a strand of unwanted hair, and then pulled out right from the follicle. Because the individual brow hairs are targeted one by one, it’s only really used for eyebrows.
Why should I go with threading over waxing or laser hair removal?
- Some people have trouble keeping their brows even with other methods. It’s also a quicker treatment than other options.
Does threading hurt?
- Not really. It’s comparable to tweezing.
What should I wear when getting a massage?
- Generally speaking, most patients will undress so the massage therapist will be able to properly treat you. You’ll be given the privacy to undress before your massage therapist returns, and you’ll be covered with a sheet during the entire treatment other than the area being worked on.
What should I do during a massage?
- To get the most out of the treatment, try relaxing your body as much as possible. One of the most important elements of a massage is to de-stress and enjoy the experience, so if you feel uncomfortable don’t be afraid of adjusting your position.
Is there any reason I shouldn’t get a massage?
- Yes, some medical conditions make massage difficult or even harmful. Before treatment, your therapist will have you fill out a medical form so they can better understand your individual history and needs so they can determine what course of action is most appropriate.
What’s a Misencil eyelash extension?
- It’s an eyelash extending technique. The lashes themselves are made of silk, and are attached to each lash individually, without touching your skin.
How long do Misencil eyelash extensions last?
- Misencil lash extensions last as long as your natural eyelashes do, about 60 days or so, so it’s a good idea to come in for touch-ups around once a month.
Is this harmful?
- Each extension is applied to your individual lashes one by one. It is not harmful to your eyes, eyelashes, or skin.
Why do you use Misencil over other brands?
- Misencil is a very high quality product which we believe in. Other lash extensions can look clumpy or are obviously artificial, but Misencil lashes are nearly impossible to tell apart from real lashes. As well, Misencil lash extensions are permanent in that they last as long as your lashes do.
What is “lash in a flash”?
- It’s a different treatment than Misencil, and more suitable for a special event, like a wedding, or for going on vacation.
What is a “high definition eyebrow”?
- It’s a treatment which leaves your eyebrows looking precisely defined. It’s done using tweezing, threading, and waxing the brows to shape them, and semi-permanent dye to make them stand out better.
What is Juvederm®?
- Juvederm is a gel which is injected into the muscles which helps restore your face’s elasticity, filling in the gaps in your skin to give you a more youthful, even look. It reduces wrinkles, jowls, and laugh lines, raises sagging cheekbones, increases volume and hydration, and can even increase the size of your lips.
What is Juvederm made of?
- The gel is made of hyaluronic acid. This is a substance which our bodies naturally produce, so there’s no need to worry about allergic reactions.
How long does it take before I can see results with Juvederm?
- You’ll see results immediately, but it will increase over the next week or two as the Juvederm gel draws more moisture to your face.
Does Juvederm hurt?
- For the most part, no. Occasionally patients mention mild discomfort, but it quickly passes.
How often should I get a haircut?
- Once every 4-6 weeks is ideal, depending on how quickly your hair grows. This will allow you to keep a consistent style. Even if you’re growing your hair out, regular trims will keep it looking healthy.
I don’t know what haircut I want. Can you just make me look good?
- Don’t worry! You’re not the only person without a clear idea of what you want to look like. Talk to your stylist about it. They can help you choose a hairstyle which suits your lifestyle.
Can you colour my hair to cover my grey hair?
- Yes! In fact, if you come on a Thursday, you can get a Kevin Murphy deep conditioning treatment with a colour and cut FREE!
I’ve never gotten a manicure or pedicure before. Does it hurt?
- No, quite the contrary actually! Most people find them to be peaceful and relaxing.
Can’t I just paint my nails myself?
- Yes of course, but a manicure/pedicure is so much more than that! You’ll enjoy a nice hand/foot massage. Your nails will be cleaned, removing your cuticles and shaping them properly. Then, if you choose, you can get your nails painted in any colour you like!
I’m a guy. Can I get a manicure/pedicure?
- Of course! A manicure/pedicure is a nice treatment for both men and women, and doesn’t have to include polish.