Although most people hope to leave these unsightly spots after high school is finished, the fact is 20% of all cases are in adults who have long left their teen years behind.
And even if you’re one of the lucky ones who was able to achieve clear skin in your adult years, the scars left behind by your acne can leave a lasting impact.
If you find yourself dealing with adult acne, or are looking to reduce the appearance of acne scars, there are a number of spa treatments you may want to consider to help get clear, blemish-free skin.
Keep reading to learn about the causes of acne and what you can do about it.
What Is Acne?
Zits. Pimples. Spots.
Whatever you call it, there’s no question that acne is not ideal.
Acne occurs when secretions from the skin’s oil glands clog the pores, resulting in blackheads or whiteheads.
Clogged pores can then develop into the inflammation we know of as pimples.
What Causes Acne?
Unfortunately there is no one single cause of acne which can be pinpointed.
Many factors may come into play, including:
● Hormones: This is a key factor for teenagers going through puberty. In all teens – regardless of gender – an increase in production of testosterone signals the body to produce more sebum, which leads to oily skin and clogged pores.
● Bacteria: Clogged hair follicles can lend themselves to bacterial growth which results in whiteheads and blackheads; if this buildup breaks under pressure it can lead to sebum leaking into nearby tissue and causing inflammatory acne.
● Sweat: While sweat in and of itself does not cause acne, it can contribute to an increased build-up of bacteria on the skin after exercise, so it is important to shower after exercise.
● Diet: Don’t worry about skipping the pizza or chocolate in the name of preventing acne, although not the best options for overall health, contrary to popular belief these foods don’t cause acne. There has been shown to be a link between acne and dairy products however.
● Cosmetics: Makeup can contribute to clogged pores and acne development – look for “non-comedogenic” formulas.
● Drugs: Some medications can contribute to acne growth.
Best Spa Treatments For Acne
Luckily there is help.
If you want to go the extra mile in treating your acne, or are looking at a way to minimize the appearance of acne scars, Jiva Spa Toronto offers a number of facial treatments which can help.
Let’s take a look at some of these:
1. Acne Facial
Jiva Spa Toronto’s Acne Facial Treatment uses deep cleanser which contains salicylic acid, and is designed to penetrate deep into your pores to eliminate dead skin cells.
The esthetician will also perform individual extractions, focusing on problem area – this means using gloved fingers or a specialized device to manually clear your pores.
Microdermabrasion uses tiny crystals to remove the first layer of dead skin and peel them away.
This technique can reduce the size of your pores, and minimize the appearance of scars (acne and other).
Although you may experience slight irritation after this type of facial, for most people it doesn’t affect their ability to carry on with their day as normal after the facial.
It should be noted that immediately after this type of facial you will want to avoid the sun and strenuous exercise.
3. Chemical Glycol Peel
Similar to Microdermabrasion, a Chemical Glycol Peel is also designed to remove dead skin.
The peel removes only the outer layer of skin, consisting of only dead skin cells, thus harming no living tissue.
A chemical peel and microdermabrasion are very similar procedures, so it is best to consult an esthetician to determine which procedure is ideal for your skin.
As its name suggests, microneedling uses tiny needles to puncture the skin, which activates the skin’s natural healing processes and triggers collagen production.
This process can help improve the appearance of acne scars and large pores, and is safe to use near sensitive areas such as around the eyes or mouth.
5. IPL Photo Facial
An IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) Photo Facial can be used to treat a variety of skin conditions.
It uses intense pulses of light to target problem areas such as acne, spider veins, rosacea, birthmarks, and other skin pigmentation issues.
Generally photo facials work best on individuals with light skin pigmentation who wish to reduce sun damage or even out skin pigmentation.
Contact Jiva Spa Toronto
Are you considering a facial treatment to help minimize the appearance of acne scars?
Perhaps after reading the different types of facials you know what you want and are ready to book your appointment.
Or maybe you’d like to set up a consultation with one of our estheticians to determine the best option for your personal skin issues.
Contact us at Jiva Spa Toronto today to set up your appointment – we’ll make sure you’re in good hands.
390 Bloor St W,
Toronto, ON M5S 1X4
Jiva Spa is a health and beauty spa, conveniently located in the heart of The Annex in Toronto. Specialising in anti-aging, acne, facials, aesthetics, and medi-spa services. Contact Jiva Spa.